Posted: 9:09 p.m. Thursday, May 2, 2013
By Rick Couri
The Boy Scout motto is “always be prepared.” Chad Cross is very glad he was. Cross bought a $10.00 snake bite kit and had it with him when he was alone on a turkey hunt.
Cross told WSFA in Montgomery, Alabama he was taking a step when he felt an impact on his lower leg.
“Best way I can describe it is someone taking a full swing with a baseball bat and hitting me in my calf.”
When he looked down, Cross saw he had bitten by a venomous pit viper.
He said he did his best to stay calm and then pulled out the kit and suctioned as much of the venom out as possible.
Cross them drove himself to the hospital where doctors told him the kit saved his life as well as his leg.