Posted: 7:47 p.m. Saturday, April 27, 2013
By David Fucillo
The 2013 NFL Draft is closed, which means it is now time for the insanity that is undrafted free agency. The San Francisco 49ers addressed plenty of needs over the last three days, but they will look to add some competition over the next couple days. Undrafted players are often considered to be in a better position than a seventh round pick because they can choose where they go.
We'll use this thread to keep track of UDFA rumors and signings for tonight. SB Nation's Dan Kadar has put together a rundown of his best players available. The 49ers will likely end up signing players at most positions. They offer them low value contracts with the occasional modest signing bonus. It gives the players a chance to compete through training camp, and not much else. The 49ers have guys like Ian Williams, Demarcus Dobbs and Jewel Hampton who have made the roster. Of course, for every one of them, there are 10 or 15 guys who will not survive the first round of training camp cuts.
Here is Dan's top ten. Head over to check out the rest of his list:
64. Da'Rick Rogers | 6'2 1/4, 217 pounds | Wide receiver | Tennessee Tech
85. Chase Thomas | 6'3, 240 pounds | Outside linebacker | Stanford
90. Tyler Bray | 6'6, 232 pounds | Quarterback | Tennessee
110. Matt Scott | 6'2, 213 pounds | Quarterback | Arizona
116. Kwame Geathers | 6'5 3/8, 342 pounds | Defensive tackle | Georgia
119. Ryan Otten | 6'6, 245 pounds | Tight end | San Jose State
123. Alvin Bailey | 6'3, 312 pounds | Guard | Arkansas
132. Lerentee McCray | 6'2, 250 pounds | Outside linebacker | Florida
137. Tony Jefferson | 5'10, 212 pounds | Safety | Oklahoma
139. Mike Edwards | 5'11 1/4, 186 pounds | Cornerback | Hawaii