Troy man to face third trial on child rape accusations

breaking news

Crews respond to major fire reported at AK Steel in Middletown 

Troy man to face third trial on child rape accusations

View CaptionHide Caption
Charles Hiser

TROY — A third trial will be held March 6-8 in the child rape case against Charles Hiser, 37, of Troy.

The new trial date was set Tuesday in Miami County Common Pleas Court.

The first trial in October ended in a mistrial after some jurors said they had seen or heard about media accounts in the case. The second trial ended Dec. 15 in a hung jury when jurors said they were unable to reach a verdict after 10.5 hours of deliberations.

Lawyers in the case met with Judge Christopher Gee to set the trial date.

Hiser faces eight felony rape charges for alleged sexual contact and sexual conduct with a person under age 10 and then under age 13 between February 2012 and late 2016 in Piqua and Troy. He pleaded not guilty.

Gee considered a request for a reduced bond after the hung jury was declared, but the judge continued the previously set $550,000 bond.

Weather and Traffic