A 12-year-old Franklin Twp. boy will remain in juvenile detention “at least for the weekend” after being charged with making a bomb threat Thursday at Springboro Junior High School.
Magistrate Jennifer Coatney ordered the boy to remain in the juvenile detention center while he was assessed for release.
“This has been kind of an epidemic in our county. We are taking these very seriously,” Coatney said during a hearing in Warren County Juvenile Court.
RELATED: School bomb threats up nationally
The boy was arraigned on a charge of making false alarms in connection with the bomb threat at Springboro Junior High School, the second of the school year after a series last year in Springboro, Lebanon and Waynesville.
The boy was led into a hearing room before handcuffs were removed. He and his mother cried as the case was discussed with court officials and Dave Wagner, the lawyer representing the boy at the hearing.
“He’s a kind gentle, loving child,” said his father, who is not being identified to protect the boy’s identity. “We just want to get him home and get to the bottom of this.”
The initial report was made “at approx 12:23 p.m.” to the office of the school on Ohio 741, South Main Street, in Springboro, according to a hand-written narrative in the case file.
Court and police records indicate the boy wrote the threat on a bathroom wall and tossed the green marker used in a trash can.
A police report indicated the boy also reported the threat.
The boy admitted to acts after his hand-writing was compared with the words on the wall, Sgt. Don Wilson said in the narrative.
Three of last year’s cases in Warren County involved 12-year-olds charged after schools were evacuated in all three districts.
An 18-year-old Springboro student was the only one charged in adult court after making a threat that prompted evacuation of the high school and cancellation of the next school day last year.
On Thursday, the school was not evacuated, following a new policy established in Warren County in response to last year’s cases.
The other incident, on Jan. 13 at Springboro Intermediate School, remains under investigation, according to a police report.