You can create a beautiful and fully edible bird seed wreath for just $6.49.
By Jessica Garringer
Who needs a fancy bird feeder to enjoy some leisurely bird watching? With this
easy DIY project you can create a beautiful and fully edible birdseed wreath
for just $6.49. This is an easy and fun way to create a great outdoor
decoration that you can enjoy for a long time.
1. Place 8 tablespoons of cold water into a large bowl and add all four
pouches of gelatin. Let this sit for 1 minute.
2. While this is sitting, boil 1½ cups of water. Add the boiling water to the
gelatin and stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
3. Once dissolved, stir in 8 cups of birdseed. Mix thoroughly.
4. Let this mixture sit for a few minutes and then stir it again. Repeat this
process a few more times or until the birdseed has absorbed the liquid.
5. Use cooking spray and grease the inside of a Bundt pan. Spoon the birdseed
mixture into the Bundt pan and place it in the refrigerator for at least 3
6. Remove the wreath from the Bundt pan by flipping it over and tapping it
along the bottom. If you have trouble getting the mixture out of the pan,
try to warm the pan to room temperature. This may help release the mixture
from the sides of the pan.
7. Once out of the pan, let the wreath dry overnight. To make it dry more
efficiently, place the cake on a cooling rack to help the air circulate on
8. Once the birdseed wreath is completely dry and very solid, use a ribbon or
twine and loop it through the hole of your wreath.
9. Hang the wreath outside in your favorite tree and enjoy the birds that
come. To make sure it lasts longer, hang it in a spot where it is
semiprotected from the wind or rain.
You can reach Jessica Garringer at SaverSavvySavings@gmail.com.