Chimney causes log house fire in Clark County

0

Chimney causes log house fire in Clark County

UPDATE @ 1:30 a.m: A chimney was the cause of a log house fire in the 10000 block of S. Charlestone Pike late Saturday night, according to officials.

The home’s owner noticed an off-smell when the family lit the chimney which caused the fire to start and eventually spread to the attic area of the log-style cabin.

Crews responded close to 9:45 p.m. and were able to stop the fire and isolate damage to the attic area.

The family was able to evacuate the home unharmed, but will be assisted by RedCross in being displaced due to water and smoke damage.

Officials say damage estimates will range from 30 to 40 thousand dollars.

The cold temperatures and structure of the home being made of wood posed challenges for fire crews, according to a Madison Twp. firefighter, but help from surrounding departments such as Harmony Twp. and Springfield Twp., allowed the task to be completed effectively.

INITIAL REPORT

Fire crews from multiple jurisdictions were called Saturday night to a log house fire.

The fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. in the 1000 block of South Charleston Pike.

Smoke and fire was showing from the two-story log house when crews arrived.

Additional tanker trucks and manpower from other fire departments were requested as crews worked to put out the fire under harsh weather conditions.

We are working to learn more about what caused the fire, and how crews contended with the low temperatures.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it newsdesk@cmgohio.com

View Comments 0

Weather and Traffic