Police headlines


Police headlines


Ex-funeral director rejects state offer

Michelle Gavin, former funeral director for the now defunct Magetti Gavin Funeral Home, rejected an offer by the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s office that would have sent her to prison for four years.

In September, Gavin was indicted in Common Pleas Court on felony charges of theft of an elderly or disabled person, grand theft, insurance fraud, and violating preneed funeral contracts.

“The case is being further reviewed and additional charges may be forthcoming,” said Cara Sweet, executive assistant in the prosecutor’s office.

Michelle Gavin, 44, of Brookville, rejected the state’s offer during a hearing Wednesday in front of Judge Dennis Adkins. The offer called for Gavin to plead guilty to all the counts in the indictment, agree to pay approximately $100,000 of a $250,000 restitution amount immediately and agree to a sentence of four years in prison, according to Sweet.

Gavin co-owned the funeral home, 1508 Valley St., with her husband Hugh Gavin before the funeral home closed in March.



Man, 86, says hospitality ended in attack

An 86-year-old man said his hospitality was repaid with a strong-arm robbery and beating and he wants the invaders arrested.

Bee Hall, who opened his home Sunday night to someone he thought was in need, continues to recover from eye and body injuries he suffered. The person who claimed to be in need was a woman who knocked at the door and asked to use his bathroom. When she came in, a man Hall said he didn’t know came in as well.

They robbed and beat him.

Hall said he believes the woman, a cousin of a neighbor’s home health aide, has stolen from him before, when she used the same bathroom ruse a few weeks ago to get into his house.

The man who came behind her punched Hall, knocking him back into a chair. He’s still got the bruises to show for it.

“He told me he was going to kill me,” Hall told News Center 7’s Kate Bartley this week.

Hall said the man beat him until his eyes were full of blood, so much so until his vision was impaired. The last time, he said, she stole a pile of envelopes from a desk drawer where he believes she got $1,000. STAFF REPORT


Suspected van thief arrested at gunpoint

A man was arrested at gunpoint Thursday, suspected of stealing a van loaded with about $20,000 of equipment from a Fairborn camera business.

Police made the arrest on Denny Lane in Riverside on Thursday afternoon. They said the suspect stole the bright orange van from Dodd Camera when an employee of the store location on East Main Street in Fairborn was loading it with equipment.

The driver was stopped in a Riverside neighborhood after the van apparently hit another vehicle, authorities said. Guns were drawn to arrest the suspect, who authorities believe was intoxicated.

He was taken to Soin Medical Center for treatment, authorities said. STAFF REPORT

View Comments 0

Weather and Traffic