Updated: 11:05 p.m. Sunday, July 17, 2011 | Posted: 11:48 p.m. Saturday, July 16, 2011

Man who died after breaking out police car window, jumping off bridge identified


Man who died after breaking out police car window, jumping off bridge identified photo
Chris Stewart/Hundreds attend a Sunday, July 17, vigil for Kylen English, who police say broke out and dove through the window of a police cruiser and then jumped to his death off the Salem Avenue bridge Saturday night.

By Thomas Gnau and Jeremy P. Kelley

Staff Writers

DAYTON — The man who jumped to his death from a bridge after escaping from a Dayton police cruiser Saturday night was Kylen English, 20, of Dayton, a Montgomery Coroner’s office investigator said Sunday morning.

Autopsy results would not be released until Monday, said Jim Glaser, the coroner’s investigator. He had no other immediate information.

English jumped to his death Saturday night after breaking out the back window of a police cruiser and jumping off the Salem Avenue bridge, police said.

Lt. Kim Hill said Dayton police were transporting the prisoner, who was not initially identified, to the Montgomery County jail around 9:40 p.m. after he was arrested on a burglary count.

“On the bridge, the prisoner starts to bang his head against the (rear passenger) window,” Hill said. “The officer starts to pull over, and once he pulled over, the suspect had the window broken. He then went head-first out the window and headfirst over the bridge.”

The police cruiser was roughly in the middle of the bridge, but the Great Miami River only goes beneath the north one-third of the span, and the man landed on a flat, dry, rocky area of the flood plain about 30 feet below. Dayton police were combing that weedy area for any evidence late Saturday night.

Hill said the man was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police would not say whether the man was intoxicated, adding those details would come from an autopsy.

“In 22 years, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Hill said.

A Dayton police sergeant said Sunday morning he could add nothing new to the report.

A young woman who said she was English’s girlfriend, Carlissa Johnson, said she was struggling to understand how English could have escaped from the cruiser while handcuffed. “It’s not adding up to me,” said Johnson, 16, a Yale Avenue resident. “I can’t even picture that in a stunt movie.”

Johnson was English was six feet tall, weighing about 200, 205 pounds. She said English had been living “house to house” recently, and was living most recently with his grandmother. She could not provide an address. She could not offer an account of what led to his arrest.

Crime scene and internal affairs units were on the bridge at 11 p.m. Saturday, and the police cruiser remained in place, with its broken window glass scattered along the southbound curb. Hill said there would be a full investigation into the incident.


The latest news videos