Chipotle Mexican Grill is trying out a new menu option at its test kitchen in New York City.
The restaurant chain added quinoa to its menu at the test kitchen. Chipotle is known for its simple assembly-line food concept, but has been trying to innovate in the past year. The chain debuted its queso cheese dip across restaurants in September.
» RESTAURANT NEWS: Chipotle to start offering queso dip at all restaurants
“The quinoa is made with red and gold quinoa tossed with a little citrus juice, cumin and freshly chopped cilantro,” a Chipotle representative told Business Insider. “We are recommending that added to a salad, or in place of rice in another entrée.”
Quinoa is a fiber-rich grain. A cup of cooked quinoa is also packed with protein and iron.
The new menu item comes just after Chipotle named a new chief officer. Chipotle named Taco Bell’s Brian Niccol as its next leader, replacing Steve Ells, who built the fast-casual food chain. Niccol is a 1996 graduate of Miami University, just an hour from Dayton.
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS
• Check out this $1 million home for sale in Clearcreek Twp.
• Tyra Patterson: Every day is a second chance
• Kroger sells off convenience store business for $2.15B
• Bass Pro Shops offering buyouts to Cabela’s employees
• Move over, bitcoin. GE researching blockchain technology