Grease fire displaces West Carrollton family, injures homeowner

Credit: West Carrollton Fire Department

Credit: West Carrollton Fire Department

A homeowner suffered first- and second-degree burns Tuesday evening during a grease fire at a West Carrollton house.

The fire was reported around 6:20 p.m. in the 600 block of Peach Orchard Drive with heavy smoke and flames showing from the kitchen area.

“The owners were cooking on the stove and a pan of grease accidentally caught on fire,” West Carrollton Fire Chief Chris Barnett said. “The occupants tried to extinguish the fire using a fire extinguisher. For some reason that didn’t work and the homeowner picked up the pan and tried to throw it out the door.”

When the owner picked up the pan, he was injured by the pan and fire when the flaming oil spilled out onto the floor in the kitchen, Barnett said.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment. The other two occupants were treated at the scene.

The family also had four cats. One cat was taken to a veterinarian, two others were not hurt but another cat was missing after the fire, Barnett said.

An estimate on property damage is not yet available; however, Barrett said the damage is extensive enough that the residents will be displaced for some time.

About the Authors