Man pleads guilty in Yellow Springs NYE incident

UPDATE @ 10:52 a.m. (April 14):

David Carlson pleaded guilty to three misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct as part of a plea agreement in Xenia Municipal Court.

As part of the agreement, felony charges against Carlson were dropped.

Carlson will not have to serve any time in jail and will not have to pay restitution.

He also was sentenced to two years probation.

UPDATE @ 10:18 a.m. (April 14):

The Yellow Springs Village Council is asking for charges against David Carlson to be dropped in relation to the New Year’s Eve Ball Drop event in the village.

“As you are aware, many mistakes were made by our local police officers that contributed to the unfortunate actions and outcomes associated with the 2016 YS New Year’s Eve Ball Drop,” Council President Karen Wintrow wrote to Greene County Prosecutor Stephen K. Haller. 

“Certainly this does not exculpate David Carlson’s behavior, but we do believe the circumstances established illustrate a context that explains the reported reactions and behaviors, which would be natural for any individual confronted with such documented aggression by a police officer,” she wrote.

RELATED: Report critical of Yellow Spring police New Year’s response

Wintrow said the council’s focus is to “move past these unfortunate incidents.”


David Carlson has been charged with criminal offenses stemming from his conduct following the Yellow Springs New Year’s Eve ball drop event, according to a statement released through the Greene County Prosecutor’s Office this afternoon.

>>RELATED: Village retains attorney to investigate New Year’s Eve incident

A plea and sentencing hearing is set for Friday morning in Xenia Municipal Court, according to the prosecutor’s office.

According to an account of the incident, police officers on routine patrol during the event were involved in an altercation with Carlson after they said he refused to follow an officer’s commands.

Cruiser cam video released in Yellow Springs New Year's incident

“During this event this year, David Carlson, 29 years of age, appeared intoxicated and began leaning into the occupied cruiser of a Yellow Springs Police Officer. Carlson was told several times to move away from the door and Carlson failed to do so,” Police Chief Dave Hale said in a prepared statement released days after the incident.

Hale has since resigned. He said his officer eventually forced open the door and had his Taser in his hand.

According to Hale, Carlson then grabbed the Taser from the officer and fled into the crowd of several hundred spectators.

Officers chased Carlson and stopped him briefly. When another officer deployed their Taser unsuccessfully, Carlson got up and fled into the crowd again. Officers arrested Carlson when they responded to the Gulch, 128 Dayton St.

>>RELATED: Officer involved in New Year’s Eve incident resigns

We’re working for more information on this developing report. Stay with for breaking news.

Click here to download our free mobile apps for weather, breaking news and news updates.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.