What happened in Detroit in January may be what happens in Dayton this week.
One of the biggest stars at the 2018 Dayton Auto Show, as it was at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last month, could turn out to be a 2019 nod to a 50-year-old movie.
Hopes are high the Ford Mustang Bullitt – due out this summer – will appear, as it has at the recent Toledo Auto Show.
The special-edition Bullitt and the “lost” original car were the talk of the Detroit show, as Ford persuaded Molly McQueen, granddaughter of “Bullitt” star Steve McQueen, to show off the new, 475-horsepower, dark highland green sports car with an upgraded 5.0-liter V8 engine.
Let’s hope it rolls into Dayton. Even if it doesn’t, there will be 200-plus of the latest and greatest cars, pickup trucks, crossovers, SUVs, minivans, hybrids and Harley-Davidson motorcycles at the show, starting on Thursday and running through Sunday at the Dayton Convention Center, 22 E. Fifth St. in downtown Dayton.
Plus, you may win some hot metal of your own.
The Miami Valley Chevrolet Dealers are generously offering a two-year lease on a 2018 Chevy Equinox LT SUV to some lucky attendee. To enter, visit a Chevy dealership between now and the show, or enter up until 1 p.m. on the last day of the show. A final drawing will take place at 3 p.m. Feb. 25, and you must be present to win.
Other show highlights will be:
• Military Appreciation Days, Feb. 22-23. All with military ID will gain free entry, sponsored by the Dayton Area Toyota Dealers.
• Back for a repeat, the Toyota Drive Center will feature vehicles for test-driving around downtown Dayton. Located at the main entrance on Fifth Street, the following may be available to drive, subject to change: the first-ever C-HR, the all-new Camry, RAV4 and Highlander.
• Also back for a repeat: FCA Drive Experience, featuring the Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Charger, Jeep Compass, Ram 1500 Crew and Fiat 500x
• Special entertainment attractions for kids, including animals from Wild Hearts African Farm and Petting Zoo, Matt the Balloon Guy and Face Doodles by Jen
•Dayton Dragons booth Feb. 24-25. Attendees can stop by for a chance to win a VIP Dayton Dragons prize pack that will include 4 stadium seats, pre-game tour, 4 Dragons hats and T-shirts. Heater and Gem will make several appearances Feb. 24-25 (time TBD).
• Correctly identifying makes and models of vehicles featured in various photos during a photo scavenger hunt will give attendees the chance to win a 55-inch Samsung UHD TV.
• Exhibit by Clean Fuels Ohio, a statewide nonprofit organization that improves air quality and health, reduces environmental pollution, and strengthens Ohio’s economy by helping businesses, governments, nonprofits and individuals transition to cleaner, domestic fuels and energy-saving vehicles