No charges will be brought in relation to a shooting false alarm at Wayne High School’s homecoming dance, police announced Tuesday.
No students were identified during the investigation as having yelled “gun,” police said.
Additionally, a message on the social media app Snapchat about a phony bomb threat prompted some Wayne High School students to stay home Monday, Principal Jeff Berk said.
Sent on Sunday, the Snapchat encouraged students to stay home from school for fear of a bomb threat that had not actually been made, Berk said. Two people — one student and a non-student — were identified in connection with the message, Berk said.
Attendance was down to about 80 percent on Monday, Berk said. A typical school day sees an attendance rate of about 91 percent, Berk said.
“There were less students than a typical day, but it wasn’t drastic numbers,” he said.
The post followed a tumultuous string of days for Wayne.
Last week, a message found in a bathroom said “people at Wayne are going to die,” Berk said. School officials identified the student responsible for that message, started the student conduct procedure, and notified police
Then, on Saturday night, the school’s homecoming dance was abruptly ended when a loud noise and threat of a “gun” spooked students and caused a police response. Administrators also identified a student connected to the incident and are working through the school’s conduct procedure.