Kettering resident Kylen Gregory told the jury in his murder trial earlier this month he did not intend to harm Ronnie Bowers or anyone else Sept. 4, 2016, when he fired a shot on Willowdale Avenue that led to the death of the 16-year-old Bowers. STAFF

Court official says Kettering teen convicted in killing will return to juvenile court

UPDATE @ 8:20 a.m. Nov. 29: The case of a Kettering teen convicted of lesser charges in his murder trial for the 2016 fatal shooting of a Fairmont High School student will return to juvenile court, according to one court official.

Montgomery County Juvenile Court Administrator James Cole said his understanding of the law after a jury found Kylen Gregory guilty of reckless homicide in death of Ronnie Bowers is that “there’s no discretion” in transferring the case back to its original jurisdiction, a move the defense is seeking.

Depending on the court’s ruling, a transfer may result in a much shorter sentence for Gregory, Cole said.

RELATED: Kettering murder case jury convicts teen on lesser charges

INITIAL REPORT: The attorneys for a Kettering teen convicted in the 2016 killing of a Fairmont High School student are seeking to return the case to juvenile court, records show.

After Kylen Gregory’s Nov. 9 jury conviction on reckless homicide in the death of Ronnie Bowers, “the adult court must determine if the offense of which the juvenile has been found guilty would have required mandatory transfer or discretionary transfer” from juvenile to adult court, according to a motion filed Tuesday.

RELATED: Kettering murder trial: Six things to know about the jury

Gregory, 18, was indicted on murder charges in the Sept. 4, 2016 deadly shooting of Bowers after Juvenile Judge Anthony Capizzi approved the prosecution’s request for a mandatory transfer to adult court in 2017.

Gregory and Bowers were both 16 at the time of the shooting, did not know each other, and police called the victim an innocent bystander. Bowers died two days later.

The jury found Gregory guilty of reckless homicide after Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Langer said the panel could consider the lesser charge if it could not reach a consensus on a murder count.

Gregory pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder, five counts of felonious assault and one count of discharging a firearm at or near a prohibited premise.

The jury of nine women and three men found Gregory guilty of two counts of reckless homicide and one charge of discharging a firearm at or near a prohibited premise.

A sentencing date has not yet been set, court records show.

-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Kettering teen accused of murder testifies in his own defense

RELATED: 9 key players in Kettering murder case stemming from 2016 killing of Fairmont student

RELATED: How Kettering teen came to be tried as adult and what took case 2 years to go to trial

RELATED: Kettering murder trial starts more than 2 years after fatal shooting

RELATED: Kettering teen indicted on adult charges in homicide of Fairmont student

RELATED: Judge restricts media access in Kettering homicide case

RELATED: 3 Supreme Court rulings on local cases alter fates of juveniles statewide

RELATED: Judge sets $1 million bond for teen charged in Kettering homicide

RELATED: Teen accused in Kettering homicide seeks high-profile attorney

RELATED: Key points in homicide of Fairmont student

RELATED: 2 teens strike plea deal to testify in Kettering homicide

RELATED: Two teens sentenced for role in Kettering homicide of Fairmont student

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.