File photo

Death of 4-month-old ruled a homicide after Benadryl found in baby's system

Adam Seagull, of Shelton, Connecticut, died on March 22 at an unlicensed home day care in Fairfield, The Associated Press reported.

An autopsy determined the infant died of acute diphenhydramine intoxication, according to the wire service. The death was initially ruled accidental and believed to be from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

No charges have been filed in the case.

Fairfield police told WTIC that investigators are focused on determining whether the child was accidentally given too much of the over-the-counter drug responsible for his death or whether the child was intentionally dosed.

Authorities plan to file charges against the daycare operator for running a daycare out of a private home without a license, according to the TV station.

Diphenhydramine, marketed as Benadryl, is an antihistamine meant to fight allergies. It is also a sedative.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X