A house fire Monday afternoon in a vacant structure was traced to a kerosene heater set up in the living room by a suspected squatter.
Dayton fire crews found 1221 Danner Ave. locked up tight when they arrived just after 5 p.m., District Chief James Rose said.
"Whoever it is, they have a key," he said.
The fire began in the living room, where the heater was set up, Rose said.
Crews arrived to find smoke coming from the residence. No one was injured and no one was taken into custody.
Rose estimated the damage at $5,000.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.