Local baby girl dies due to carfentanil, fentanyl intoxication while with grandmother

UPDATE @ 2:25 p.m.

Dayton Police are still actively investigating the child’s death and said there could be charges against adults who supplied or used drugs in the home. 

They still don’t know exactly how the girl came in contact with the drugs.

>>LIVE INTERACTIVE RADAR>>

“Coming in contact with carfentanil and fentanyl, through your skin can lead to death,” said Lt. Gregg Gaby, Dayton’s Violent Crimes Bureau commander. “Carfentanil has the street name of elephant for a reason. They use it on elephants and large mammals… It doesn’t take a lot at all, and with a baby that is one year old coming in contact with it, it could be deadly real quick.”

Gaby said users need to be aware that even after using these powerful drugs, a trace could be on their clothing or in their home that could harm someone else. 

>>RELATED: Narcan may be no match for new fentanyl strains

“People who use this and think that it’s only going to affect them, it’s not, it’s going to affect everyone, the community at large and it could be someone you really love and care for,” he said. 

He confirmed there were several adults in the home at the time Allen died, including her grandmother. 

“Anybody that is involved in that chain, from the person who provides it illegally as a dealer all the way down to the user, if they caused harm to somebody else, they could be charged,” Gaby said.

FIRST REPORT

The Montgomery County Coroner’s office confirms that a 13-month-old girl  from Dayton died in May from an overdose of fentanyl and carfentanil, powerful opioids. 

Mari’onna Allen died on May 3 inside her grandmother’s home at 1608 East Fifth St. 

1608 East Fifth St., Dayton. A 13-month-old girl died inside the home of fentanyl and carfentanil intoxication, according to the Montgomery County Coroner's office. STAFF PHOTO/Mike Campbell

The crime lab had been waiting on toxicology reports to confirm the cause of her death. 

Those tests confirmed the baby died of acute intoxication by fentanyl and carfentanil. 

According to a Dayton police report obtained by this news organization, the baby’s grandmother, Trina Miller, was babysitting the child for the night, and was acting normal at the time she was dropped off, and had not been ill.

The next morning, according to the report, Miller woke up to find the child not breathing and called the baby’s mother and 9-1-1.  Miller told police the child slept with her in the bed. Another male, a friend, was also in the home. 

Three days after the death of the child, on May 6, the child’s grandmother was found deceased inside  a Riverside hotel. The coroner’s office confirms they are awaiting toxicology results on Trina Miller’s cause of death. 

Another drug overdose death occurred in the same apartment on East Fifth St. where Allen died just one month prior. 

Eddie Ray Browning, 66, was staying with the resident and was found deceased on the morning of April 3. 

Browning's friend told police he was a recovering heroin addict. The coroner's investigation into his death confirmed he died of multiple drug intoxication including fentanyl, fentanyl analogs, cocaine and other drugs. 

The resident who found Browning deceased was present in the apartment the night Allen died, according to police records. 

Overdose deaths involving fentanyl and it’s analogs have skyrocketed and surpassed heroin as the number one killer in Montgomery County. In 2016, 69 percent of the counties 349 overdose deaths involved fentanyl. 

The drug took the life of another local toddler last year. 

Investigators never determined how 2-year-old Lee Hays came into contact with fentanyl in his Harrison Twp. home and died.

>>RELATED: Overdose death of 2-year-old ‘big shock’ to uncle

This is the second confirmed death of a child from an opioid overdose this year. Nathan Wylie died April 1 of drug intoxication, but the specific drug that killed him has not been identified. 

>>RELATED: Dayton teen overdose victim remembered as protector, organ donor

X