A judge has cut public access to records involving a 17-year-old facing adult murder charges in last year’s shooting death of a Fairmont High School junior.
The ruling by Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Dennis Langer means no public access for documents relating to the adult charges against Kylen Gregory. The Kettering resident was indicted this summer in the 2016 Labor Day weekend fatal shooting of 16-year-old Ronnie Bowers.
Langer’s ruling, dated Aug. 17, does not appear to be an action based on a request from the defense or prosecution, said Sharon Harness, assistant chief deputy in the county clerk of courts office.
“It’s just an entry put on by the judge, and it doesn’t give us any reason,” Harness said. “It just orders the clerk to restrict access to all filings in the case – from remote or direct access.”
Gregory was indicted in late July on eight charges – including two murder counts – just days after the case was transferred to adult court by county Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi.
Capizzi’s decision followed a May Ohio Supreme Court ruling making transfers to adult court mandatory for defendants at least 16 years old who are charged with crimes such as those facing Gregory.
Gregory has pleaded not guilty to all charges in the shooting of Bowers on Willowdale Avenue shortly before 9 p.m. on Sept. 4, 2016, when the victim attempted to drive away from a dispute shortly after both teens left AlterFest in separate groups, according to Kettering police.
Bowers died two days later in what was ruled Kettering’s first gun-related homicide since 2007. Gregory is being held in Montgomery County juvenile detention on a $1 million bond. His next court date is scheduled for October.
MORE ARTICLES ON THE ISSUE: