Follow these guidelines when removing snow and/or ice:
• Remove large icicles hanging over meter assemblies and appliance vents
• Make sure whoever removes snow from your property is aware if your gas meter is near a sidewalk or driveway
• Use a broom – not a shovel – to clear snow from meter assembly and vents.
• If your gas meter is encased in ice, do not attempt to melt and/or chip the ice, as this could damage the meter. Allow the ice to melt on its own.
• Pay particular attention when moving snow on a commercial lot. Don’t pile snow around gas meters.
• Consider installing driveway entrance reflectors around gas meters if they’re close to a road or driveway.
• If you suspect a gas leak or if your meter has been damaged, call Vectren at 1-800-227-1376.