A woman in her 70s in a wheelchair was in guarded condition after suffering burns and smoke inhalation in a fire that erupted when she left her cooking unattended Wednesday night, Dayton District Chief Michael Fasnacht said.
Fire crews responded around 9:45 p.m. to a corner unit at the Redeemer Community Apartments in the 500 block of St. Paul Avenue and found heavy smoke showing from the residence.
Some residents were evacuating when fire crews arrived, Fasnacht said.
Dayton firefighters were able to rescue the woman and quickly knock down the fire that started in her first-floor apartment.
The resident tried to put out the fire, couldn’t leave and was overcome by the smoke, he said. She was taken to Miami Valley Hospital. Her name was not released.
According to reports, the fire did not spread to the upper stories of the three-story building.
Residents who did not evacuate were moved to a safe part of the building while crews handled the blaze.
All residents were allowed to return to their apartments once fire crews ventilated the hallways and the apartment where the fire occurred, Fasnacht said.
Damage estimates were not immediately available.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.