Carbon monoxide suspected in deaths

2 dead in suspected carbon monoxide poisonings in Dayton ID’d

UPDATE @ 10:17 p.m.:

The names of the two people who firefighters said died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning have been identified by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

Mulumebit Dejene, 65, of Dayton died during a suspected CO incident in the 1700 block of Speice Avenue in Dayton around noon Sunday.  The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office said Dejene’s official cause of death is still listed as pending.

Robert Choice, 49, of Dayton, died at a home in the first block of Bluecrest Avenue on Friday. Choice’s death also is listed as pending, the coroner’s office said.


Two local deaths in two days have prompted Dayton fire officials to warn about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The causes of death have not been determined for the unnamed man and woman, who died in two separate incidents, but high levels of CO were detected at both residences, fire officials said.

The deaths were on Bluecrest Drive on Friday evening and and on Speice Avenue on Sunday afternoon.

RELATED: 1 dead, 1 critically injured in Champaign County active shooter incident

Bryan Adams, Dayton Fire Department fire prevention specialist, said CO detectors are free for Dayton residents and the best way to protect against being poisoned by the gas, which is odorless and difficult to otherwise notice.

“Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer. So it’s colorless, odorless, tasteless. So you’re not aware that it’s happening or that it’s present in your home so that’s where the alarms come into play,” he said.

To get a free CO detector installed call 937-333-4500.

Dayton Fire Department has installed close to 300 CO alarms this year at residences in the city, Adams said.

RELATED: Fire damages, displaces downtown Dayton businesses

Adams said Dayton firefighters have responded to more than 30 CO alarm-related incidents in the city of Dayton this month. The alarms activate at low CO levels, giving residents time to evacuate.

Fuel-fired appliances like water heaters, space heaters and stoves can create elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Car owners should not warm up their cars in a garage, which can create dangerous CO levels even with the garage door open.

Cold and flu symptoms like nausea and sleepiness can be similar to the signs of carbon monoxide exposure, which is why it is important to have a CO detector in the home, Adams said.

“The biggest key is having an alarm,” he said.

Also, keep these safety tips in mind during the winter:

• During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.

• A generator should be used in a well-ventilated outdoor location away from windows, doors and vent openings.

• Make sure vehicle exhaust pipes are not covered in snow.

Bryan Adams, Dayton Fire Department fire prevention specialist, said CO detectors are free for Dayton residents. KAITLIN SCHROEDER/STAFF
Photo: Staff Writer

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.