Always a huge problem at Dayton’s annual fireworks display, traffic promises to be even worse this year because of work on the Main Street bridge, which is down to two lanes and will be closed during the show, according to the Dayton Police Department.
Beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday or sooner, some streets will be closed to traffic around RiverScape MetroPark for the “Lights in Flight” festival that begins at 5 p.m. that day. Even more streets will close at 8 p.m. ahead of the 10 p.m. fireworks display.
Because of construction on the Main Street bridge, traffic is currently limited to one lane in each direction. The bridge will close to all traffic during the fireworks display and southbound traffic will be diverted onto Riverview Avenue. After the fireworks, both lanes will reopen only to northbound traffic; southbound traffic will continue to divert to Riverview, according to police.
Downtown Dayton Partnership officials encourage people to get downtown by 8 p.m. if going to the fireworks.
Following are the scheduled street closures, provided by Five Rivers MetroParks and the Dayton Police Department:
Beginning 9 a.m. (or earlier) Tuesday, July 3 (until 2 a.m. July 4):
- Monument Avenue from Jefferson Street to Patterson Boulevard
- Monument Avenue between Patterson Boulevard and Sears Street (restricted to local traffic only)
- Water Street (restricted to local traffic only)
- St. Clair Street from First Street to Monument Avenue
- Patterson Boulevard/Riverside Drive from First Street to White Allen Avenue
- Harries Street from the parking garage to Monument Avenue
- the WSU entry/exit to Monument Avenue
- the Engineers Club entry/exit to Monument Avenue
Beginning 8 p.m. July 3 (in addition to the closures listed above):
- Monument Avenue between Main Street and Jefferson Street
- Monument Avenue between Webster Street and Patterson Boulevard
- Jefferson Street between Second Street and Monument Avenue
- St. Clair Street between Second Street and First Street
- Harries Street between Second Street and First Street
- Webster Street between Herman Avenue and Keowee Street (local traffic only during show)
- the top of the exit ramp for South I-75 at Route 4 will be closed to Webster Street
- the top of the exit ramp for North I-75 at Route 4 will be closed to Webster Street
Parking is available at the Transportation Center garage at Fifth and Jefferson streets for $1 starting at 6 p.m.; the Main Street Garage at Monument Avenue will have $3 parking during festival hours after 5 p.m.
The schedule includes musical acts before the fireworks:
- 5 p.m. DJ SKNO
- 5:45 p.m. Cadillac Slimm (blues)
- 6:50 p.m. Son del Caribe (Latin)
- 8:30 p.m. Touch Band (Motown tribute)
- 10 p.m. Lights in Flight fireworks