5 firefighters, 2 residents hurt at high rise apartment fire

UPDATE @ 2 p.m.

Five firefighters were hurt while battling the fire at a high-rise apartment building in Dayton.

The firefighters’ injuries were not considered life-threatening and they were transported from the scene on Belmonte Park North to the hospital for treatment, according to an official at the scene.

Some firefighters suffered smoke inhalation and at least one suffered a shoulder injury, according to Dayton Fire spokesman Bryan Adams.

Two residents were also taken to the hospital for treatment and at least one resident is receiving medical treatment at the scene.

The Red Cross has been called to assist in setting up a temporary shelter for the displaced residents.

The 10-floor apartment building has been evacuated and officials said it will be awhile before anyone can return to their apartments.

A major challenge for the firefighters was getting older residents, some who are disabled, safely out of the building, according to an official at the scene.

Officials aren’t sure yet what led to the fire, but our crew talked to the children of the woman whose apartment caught fire.

They tell us their mother was cooking and the fire started from grease in the kitchen of her eighth-floor apartment.

Dozens of people were standing outside of the building.

UPDATE @ 12:50 p.m.

We’re working to confirm that a Dayton firefighter was injured while battling a blaze on the eighth floor of an apartment building in the 500 block of Belmonte Park North.

Dozens of firefighters responded to the scene and many appeared tired and spent after putting the fire out and searching the building for anyone needing help.

Apartment Fire on Superior Ave. in Dayton

According to emergency scanner traffic, a firefighter called for help while inside the building and working to douse the flames.

This newsroom has obtained the 9-1-1 call from a resident who reported the fire to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

The caller told the dispatcher there’s a fire in an apartment on the eighth floor and reported seeing a lot of black smoke.

The dispatcher advised the resident to get everyone out of the building.

There have been no reports of injuries to any of the residents. 

EARLIER

Crews in Dayton are working to put out a fire at a building in the 500 block of Belmonte Park North.

PHOTOS: Black smoke rises from upper floor of Dayton apartment building

SCENE: Crews called to battle fire at high rise apartment building

Crews were called at 11:47 a.m. and early reports indicated the fire is at an apartment building and some residents may need rescued.

We’re headed to the scene and will update this story as more information becomes available.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X