UPDATE @ 7:10 p.m.: The house fire was traced to a clothes dryer in the basement and the appliance’s motor could have locked up, Springfield Fire Battalion Chief Dan Faust said.
The dryer was operating when firefighters went to the basement of the duplex on a report of smoke coming from an unoccupied double, Faust said. A resident in the neighboring unit called 911.
The fire damage was isolated to the appliance. There was smoke damage in the basement and on the first floor.
There were no injuries, Faust said, and the occupant should be able to return to the residence this evening.
Firefighters have responded to reports of a house fire on West Pleasant Street in Springfield Wednesday afternoon.
Crews were dispatched to the 700 block of West Pleasant Street around 3:10 p.m. and reported smoke coming from a part of the structure, according to initial reports.
Additional details were not available.
We’ll update this story as we learn more.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.