Man discovers fire while showing vacant apartment in Moraine

UPDATE @ 2:45 p.m.

A smoke alarm is being credited for saving a single-story apartment building from extensive damages after a bathroom ventilation fan malfunctioned and sparked a fire this afternoon.

The owner of the apartments in the 5200 block of Belle Isle Drive were showing the vacant apartment to some potential renters when they heard the fire alarm going off, according to Steve Meadows, battalion chief of the Miami Valley Fire District.

The owner opened the bathroom door and smoke poured out of the room.

Firefighters were called and quickly put out the small electrical fire, limiting damage to an estimated $1,000, Meadows said.

Meadows stressed the importance of having working fire alarms in residences. Without this one, flames would have spread quickly through the attic and into other apartments, he said.

No one was injured in the incident.

UPDATE @ 2:23 p.m.

A small fire reported in the bathroom was extinguished inside a vacant apartment unit in the 5200 block of Belle Isle Drive.

We’re working to gather more details.

EARLIER

Crews in Moraine are responding to a reported structure fire in the 5200 block of Belle Isle Drive.

Smoke was reportedly showing from the structure as crews responded shortly after 2 p.m.

We’ll update this story as more information becomes available.

Download our free apps to get news and weather updates on your mobile devices.

X