Ohio AG says state should pay most of cost for Pike County massacre trials

Officials in Pike County estimate they’ll spend well over $1 million on the upcoming cases involving the 2016 killings of eight members of the Rhoden family.

RELATED: Ohio lawmakers OK $100K to help cover costs

State Attorney General Dave Yost said Thursday he doesn’t want the costs to cripple the small county in southern Ohio.

He feels the state should pick up all of the costs, outside of salaries for those handling the case.

INVESTIGATION: Pike County deaths and multiple arrests tied to one key factor — child custody

State lawmakers would need to approve that spending.

Ohio lawmakers at the end of last year already agreed to provide an initial $100,000 to help pay for the trials of four family members charged in the killings.

Death penalty possible for 4 of 6 arrested in Rhoden slayings

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X