Smoking in bed is the cause of an apartment fire Wednesday night in the 1900 block of East High Street that displaced the two occupants.
Springfield crews were dispatched just after 8 p.m. on a report of a structure fire with smoke showing.
Flames were showing from a second-floor window when crews arrived, said Capt. Dan Faust, Springfield Fire/Rescue Division.
"The occupant was smoking in bed and reported a fire," the captain said. "The occupant tried to use an extinguisher."
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Must-see video of shot fired during robbery
Crews contained the damage to the one room in the apartment. There was smoke damage to other units in the building, but residents of those apartments were allowed to return.
Faust said the Red Cross has been called to assist the two male occupants who have been displaced.
He estimated the damage to the building at $10,000, and damage to the contents at $3,000 to $5,000.
There were no injuries, the captain said.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to email@example.com
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.