Family of 15-year-old who died in crash urges people to wear helmets

Teen wasn’t wearing helmet, dies from go-cart crash

Jeffrey Allsup Jr., 15, of Lakeshore Road, steered his go-cart into the path of an oncoming vehicle on Beach Drive and sustained serious head injuries, according to a Ohio State Highway Patrol crash report.

Allsup was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, said Sierra Meffrod, his sister. Both Allsup’s family and troopers said a helmet could have saved the teen’s life.

Eyewitness accounts from the scene led investigators to believe Allsup had been dodging in and out of oncoming traffic just before the accident occurred, said Lt. Brian Aller, commander of the State Highway Patrol Springfield Post.

A medical helicopter transported Allsup from the crash scene to Miami Valley Hospital, where he was put into a medically-induced coma before he died Friday, according to family members.

“He was very active, he loved fishing and hunting,” said Briana Allsup, Jeffrey’s sister. The boy rode his go-cart around the neighborhood — often without a helmet, like the majority of other children and teenagers who ride in the streets, she said.

The driver who struck Allsup was not speeding over the posted 25 mph speed limit, according to the crash report.

The State Highway Patrol is still investigating the crash. Once the investigation is complete, the case will be handed over to the Clark County Prosecutor’s Office to see if charges will be filed against the driver. But because of the circumstances of the crash, it is unlikely the female driver will be cited in the accident, said Aller.

After the crash, Allsup’s sister hoped other families in the neighborhood would learn from this tragedy and wear protection when riding on the streets.

“Wear helmets … please,” Briana Allsup said with tears in her eyes as she talked about her brother, “because losing a sibling, (it) feels empty, I feel like I have nothing there.”

The family disposed of the go-carts after the accident. His younger brother refused to ride the go-cart after Allsup’s death, according to the family.

Allsup’s organs were donated after his death, family members said, which they hope will save another child’s life.

“Jeffrey had aspirations to be in the Army, so him being an organ donor is still a way for him to be a hero in some way,” Meffrod said.

The community has reached out to the family during their loss. The Park Layne Wee Arrows little league football program held a memorial football game at Raynor Park Monday evening. A fund-raiser has also been started to help the family pay for funeral expenses.

Funeral arrangements for Allsup have not been announced.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.