1. Traffic delays Multiple crashes are being reported throughout the Miami Valley Thursday morning. Weather and wet roads have been confirmed as contributing factors in some of the crashes. Crashes were reported across Greene, Montgomery, Warren and Butler counties. On westbound U.S. 35 near New Jasper Station Road in New Jasper Twp., a series of crashes has resulted in one fatality, the Ohio State Highway Patrol confirm. Check out where crashes occurred this morning, and what to expect for your evening commute.
2. School delays, closings Several schools across the region issued delays or cancellations this morning due to the icy conditions. Dayton Barber College opens at 11 a.m.; Classic Bible Study is canceled at First Baptist Church in Vandalia; YMCA of Darke County is closed until noon; and Kettering City Schools will have no P.M. Kindergarten/preschool at Oakview. See the full list of delays and cancellations here.
3. Power outages As of 9:45 a.m., thousands were without power across the region as freezing rain continues to hit the area. Southern counties continue to show the highest outages by Duke Energy, with over 65,000 without power in Hamilton County. DP&L has issued a message stating they are, "focused on restoring power to customers following today's morning ice storm. Many outages are caused by heavy ice bringing down limbs and trees onto our equipment. Safety is our top priority. Stay away from downed lines until crews can make the area safe." Here's what you need to know if your power goes out.
4. Damage across the region The weather has caused several trees to fall. Ice weighing down tree branches have caused them to fall and cause damage on cars, objects and houses. Check out some of the damage across the region, and submit photos of the damage you see. Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us where it is (street and city).
Watch News Center 7 LIVE for up-to-the-minute weather and school closing updates
5. Flight cancellations If you're flying anywhere, make sure to check if your flight is scheduled to depart on time. Flights at airports across Southwest Ohio are seeing cancellations as winter weather hits Ohio and the East Coast. Flights from Dayton International Airport to Washington and New York are canceled this morning, and other flights from Dayton to Minneapolis, Charlotte, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Detroit have also been delayed. Here's what to know if you're heading to the airport today or throughout the weekend.
6. Black ice Some black ice patches have been reported in the region. Driving on icy roads can be tricky. Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface. Applying the gas slowly to accelerate is the best method for regaining traction and avoiding skids. Don't try to get moving in a hurry. And take time to slow down for a stoplight. Remember: It takes longer to slow down on icy roads, according to AAA. Check out 5 tips for driving safely on icy roads before you head out for the evening commute.
7. More weather to come Precipitation will transition over to rain later this morning and will linger into the afternoon. Afternoon rain may mix with snowflakes or could transition over to snow before ending in the evening. Highs will be in the upper 30s. On Friday, clouds will break with blustery and cool conditions with highs only reaching the lower 40s. County-by-County Weather