Kettering fire medics responded to Golden Nugget Pancake House on South Dixie on report of an infant scalded by hot coffee.

Witness: Golden Nugget worker spills hot coffee, burns baby’s legs

KETTERING — A woman and her niece were eating lunch at Golden Nugget Pancake House, when they were startled by screams of a 7-month-old baby, the child's mother and another woman in the next booth on Thursday afternoon. 

  • Medics were dispatched to the restaurant on South Dixie Avenue after receiving three 9-1-1 calls from patrons and employees.
  • One caller told the dispatcher the infant was scalded.
  • A second caller said the 7-month-old baby was burned on the leg by coffee spilled by a worker.

According to the eyewitness who asked not to be named, a worker was carrying two pots of hot coffee when she bumped the booth where the infant was buckled into a car seat. Hot coffee poured onto the child's legs. She said customers, including a nurse, jumped into action. 
The woman said the nurse was shouting to get cool water and poor it on the child's legs. 

LOCAL NEWS: All Dayton city school teams on probation for three years
The witness and her niece rushed to get the baby out of the seat, and remove pants and socks. She said the clothes were melted on to the child's legs, and skin was coming off. 
The woman said customers even went behind counters to get water and cups. 
A woman who identified herself as a manager of the Golden Nugget, on South Dixie Drive, told us by phone Thursday that the incident was an accident, and would make no further comment. 
Medics responded to the restaurant before noon Thursday after receiving three 9-1-1 calls from patrons and employees inside the restaurant, according to the Kettering Fire Department. 
One caller told the dispatcher the infant was scalded. A second caller said the 7-month-old baby in the car seat was burned on the leg by spilled coffee from one of the workers. The family was requesting medics be called.

MORE NEWS

Baby burned by hot coffee at Golden Nugget

A third call to 9-1-1 said the infant's high chair was knocked over, and hot coffee was spilled on the child. 

A witness told our newsroom that nurses in the restaurant helped and said the baby's skin was already coming off. 

We have not been able to confirm that with healthcare workers. 

The child was removed by medic to Dayton Children's Hospital, according to Kettering fire dispatchers. 

We called Golden Nugget and asked to speak to a manager about the incident. 

The woman said this was an accident when a hostess with coffee collided with the customer and child getting up from a booth. 

The Golden Nugget spokeswoman would make no further comment. 

The condition of the child and the severity of the injuries is not known.

Stay on top of breaking news, weather and traffic anytime, anywhere, by downloading our free apps.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X