Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died of ‘accidental drug overdose,’ coroner says

Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died from an accidental drug overdose, according to a report released Friday by the medical examiner's office in Tarrant County, Texas.

The coroner found Skaggs, 27, had the opioids fentanyl and oxycodone along with alcohol in his system when he died, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The cause of death was listed as "alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents." Skaggs basically choked on his own vomit, according to the Times.

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room on July 1, fully clothed with no signs of trauma. The team was in Tarrant County at the time, where the Angels were preparing for a series against the Texas Rangers.

The pitcher's family released a statement on the report, according to KTLA-TV.

"We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol. That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much."

Police in Southlake, Texas, are still investigating Skaggs' death.

About the Author