Sammy started barking when a fire started, allowing her family to escape the flames. (Savannah Fire Rescue)
Photo: Savannah Fire Rescue
Photo: Savannah Fire Rescue

Dog saves family from house fire in Georgia

>> Read more trending news 

The dog, named Sammy, started barking around 1 a.m., awakening her owners, allowing the five people inside to get out uninjured, Savannah Fire Rescue said.

Two cats and another dog died in the flames

Investigators believe the blaze was sparked by a faulty deep freezer.

“I would encourage everyone this time of the year to make sure their smoke detectors are working at all times, but smoke detectors are a vital part of making sure you are able to get out of the structure in time,” Ira Harper, Savannah Fire battalion chief, told WGAL.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X