Florida man catches fire, falls from light pole after getting shocked, authorities say

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Police: Florida man catches fire, falls from light pole after getting shocked

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

A Florida man is in critical condition after he climbed a light pole, got shocked and caught fire before falling, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news

According to a tweet from the Lauderhill Fire Rescue Department, the man "was electrocuted and fell approximately 50 feet." after making contact with a live wire Tuesday afternoon.

A fire rescue team, in the area for an unrelated traffic accident, saw the man fall and responded immediately, Capt. Jerry Gonzalez told the Sun-Sentinel.

“They turned around and saw him on fire as he fell 50 feet,” Gonzalez told the newspaper. “It was pretty graphic.”

The man was conscious when workers reached him, according to WPLG. He suffered third-degree burns to 60% of his body, plus exit wounds from the shock, authorities told the television station.

Officials from Florida Power and Light said the man was not a power worker, WSVN reported.

John Moore, who works at a nearby gas station, told WPLG there was a power outage and a loud noise when the man was shocked.

"I don't know how you survive falling that far by itself," Moore told the television station. "I don't know how you survive getting shocked like that. Either one of those is very fortunate."

About the Author