Halloween scare: Science experiment explodes in teacher’s face, engulfing her in flames

Flames engulfed a teacher's face at a metro Atlanta high school on Halloween in a science experiment that went horribly wrong. The teacher is going to make a full recovery.

Combined ShapeCaption
Flames engulfed a teacher's face at a metro Atlanta high school on Halloween in a science experiment that went horribly wrong. The teacher is going to make a full recovery.

A Halloween experiment at a high school in metro Atlanta went horribly wrong, engulfing a teacher's face in flames and sending her to the hospital.

>> Read more trending news

“We were just like confused,” Duluth High School student Condaleeza Waters told WSB-TV. “We didn't know what to do.”

The experiment in Morgan Cook’s science class involved a ramp, a pumpkin and fire, but something went wrong, according to WSB.

“When she lit it on fire, what happened is the whole entire ramp lit on fire, and the ramp just exploded,” student Eddie Kim said.

Paramedics responded to the school to offer aid, and a friend of Cook's took her to the hospital.

Gwinnett County schools spokesman, Bernard Watson, said the teacher suffered “minor superficial injuries” and should fully recover.

Principal Eric Davidson sent a letter to parents that said in part, “This is a rare situation and we are committed to determining exactly how this occurred so it does not happen again.”

Explore>> Related: The real Dracula was brutally vicious and absolutely depraved; Who was Vlad the Impaler?

Some students are still trying to sort it out.

"I guess it's just kind of scary," Mia VanTassell said, "knowing that happened at our school."

About the Author