Hazmat crew called for chemical leak on University of Dayton campus

A chemical leak prompted evacuations Tuesday at the University of Dayton in Ohio.

Explore>> Read more trending stories

A hazardous materials team was called to UD's campus around 12:37 p.m. The university's Kettering Labs and music theater building were evacuated because of a sulfer dioxide leak.

Fire and HAZMAT crews declared the scene stable and the evacuation order was lifted shortly after 2 p.m.

The emergency was reported to be a sulfur dioxide leak inside the Kettering Lab, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

Sulfur dioxide is a colorless, pungent, toxic gas formed by burning sulfur in the air. According to the EPA, short term exposures to SO2 can harm the human respiratory system and make breathing difficult. Those who suffer from asthma are particularly sensitive.

It is not known how much of the gas leaked or how it was being used in the lab.