President Donald Trump spoke to reporters Tuesday in an hourlong news conference after he and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a document pledging to "work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
Here are five key moments from the presser:
1. 'War games' ending: Trump said he agreed to put an end to the United States’ “war games,” or joint military exercises, with South Korea “unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should.”
"I want to get our soldiers out," he added. "I want to bring our soldiers back home, but that’s not part of the equation right now. I hope it will be eventually.”
2. Denuclearization timetable: Trump wants Kim to denuclearize North Korea as quickly as “mechanically” possible and pledged to remove sanctions on the country when officials are able to verify that “nukes are no longer a factor.”
3. Missile test site's destruction: "Kim has told me that North Korea is already destroying a major missile engine testing site,” Trump said, adding: "That's not in your signed document. We agreed to that after the agreement was signed."
4. Confidence in Kim? Trump said he trusts that Kim wants to fulfill the agreement: “I think he might want to do this as much or even more than me because they see a bright future for North Korea.”
5. Future meetings: Trump said he will invite Kim to the White House and visit North Korea “at the appropriate time.” He also said they may have another summit.
>> MORE COVERAGE: Trump-Kim agreement on North Korea denuclearization: Read the full text | Jamie Dupree: Congress watches and waits on Trump-Kim summit results | Photos: Trump, Kim Jong Un meet for historic US-North Korea summit | Trump-Kim summit: What you need to know about the historic meeting | Discussions between U.S., North Korea moving quickly, officials say | North Korea summit: Trump, Kim Jong Un plan to meet alone, plus translators, official says | Trump arrives in Singapore for historic summit | North Korea summit: Kim Jong Un arrives in Singapore ahead of historic meeting with Trump
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.