12 people poisoned by carbon monoxide, 1 dead

Police car lights. (Photo: Scott Davidson/flickr/Creative Commons) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Caption
Police car lights. (Photo: Scott Davidson/flickr/Creative Commons) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

A broken pool heater exposed guests of a Niles hotel to carbon monoxide Saturday, leaving one child dead and sending several others to the hospital.

Police and emergency responders were called to the scene around 10 a.m. Saturday after staff at a Quality Inn and Suites found six children ranging in age from 12-14 unresponsive on the pool deck, according to WNDU.

>> Read more trending news

Bryan Watts, 13, was pronounced dead on arrival when he was taken to the hospital.

A seventh child was found not breathing in a hotel room. However, responders were able to revive her at the scene.

Employees and the people staying in the 24 occupied rooms were evacuated.

A police officer, a sheriff's deputy and two hotel employees were also taken to the hospital. In all, 12 people were taken to hospitals, according to WSBT.

Officials said a pool heater is to blame, according to WNDU. Some carbon monoxide levels were 16 times the acceptable limit.

The hotel is closed while the investigation continues.