As 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders left a Las Vegas hospital Friday, his doctors released a statement confirming Sanders had a heart attack earlier in the week, according to news reports.
Sanders, 78, who had two stents inserted in a blocked artery this week, thanked the staff at Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center on Friday in a social media post for the "excellent care" he received.
“After two and a half days in the hospital, I feel great, and after taking a short time off, I look forward to getting back to work,” Sanders wrote.
I want to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff at the Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center for the excellent care that they provided. After two and a half days in the hospital, I feel great, and after taking a short time off, I look forward to getting back to work. pic.twitter.com/HjBc9LPjo4— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) October 4, 2019
His doctors diagnosed him with a myocardial infarction, or a heart attack, after he was hospitalized Tuesday with chest pains, The New York Times reported, citing the statement from his doctors.
After his heart attack, Sanders canceled his events this week, but his campaign said he had plans to attend the next Democratic debate on Oct. 15 in Ohio.
Sanders campaign releases a statement from his doctors upon his release from the hospital that says he had a myocardial infarction -- ie a heart attack pic.twitter.com/eofS6mP03J— Nick Riccardi (@NickRiccardi) October 4, 2019
About the Author