North Carolina woman warns of algae poisoning after three dogs killed

Toxic algae poisoning kills 3 dogs that swam in North Carolina pond, owner says

A woman's three dogs are dead after being in and around water in Wilmington, North Carolina, WTVD reports.

>> Read more trending news 

At 12:08 AM, our dogs crossed the rainbow bridge together. They contracted blue green algae poisoning and there was...

Posted by Melissa Martin on Thursday, August 8, 2019

Melissa Martin said she took her dogs to a pond in her neighborhood to go swimming, and when she got home to give them baths all three dogs started having seizures and died later that day.

"We joke that we used to give our dogs bottled water. We would never put them in a situation like this. They were everything," Martin said.

Martin said she was told her dogs got into blue-green algae or cyanobacteria, which lives in fresh and saltwater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said children and dogs are the most susceptible to the algae.

Martin said she wants to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else..

"By the end of this year, I plan to contact whoever I need to contact to make sure we have signs up at every body of water like this that says it's toxic," Martin said. "Because nobody knows. Kids could get in it, and it could poison them, as well."

The CDC also said cyanobacteria usually multiplies and blooms when the water is warm, stagnant and filled with nutrients from sources including fertilizer runoff or septic tank overflows.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X