Young man dies of septic shock 2 weeks after choking on chicken bone

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Texas Man Dies Of Septic Shock 2 Weeks After Choking On Chicken Bone

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

A 20-year-old Texas man died from a chicken bone lodged in his throat that his family said doctors missed twice.

>> Read more trending news

The family of Cameron Fikac told KVUE-TV that about two weeks ago, the young man was eating chicken when he choked on a bone. For days afterward, he complained of pain in his neck.

Fikac visited two doctors, both of whom said nothing appeared to be wrong with him. But Fikac continued to feel pain in his throat and had difficulty eating, his family said. Fikac’s family believes he was driving to another doctor when he went into cardiac arrest.

The young man didn’t have any external injuries, the news station reported. Fikac’s parents told doctors about their son’s recent throat problems. Doctors performed a CAT scan and found a bone longer than 1 inch lodged in Fikac’s throat.

Fikac was put on life support April 4. On Tuesday, he died of septic shock, doctors said.

Fikac was the son of Williamson County Chief Deputy Roy Fikac, who works for Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody. Chody tweeted a video discussing Cameron Fikac’s death and is searching for answers along with the Fikac family.

"When you have a 20-year-old saying, 'Something's in my throat,' and, from my understanding, making it sound like he's overreacting, that's negligence in my opinion," Chody said.

 

Cameron Fikac’s family is now mourning his death and trying to raise awareness about what happened.

“He pled for help and he got nothing. So now he has paid an ultimate price for something so preventable,” Roy Ficak said in a statement.

About the Author