An Ohio Chipotle restaurant is expected to reopen today after closing due to reports of more than 170 customers becoming ill.
The Powell, Ohio, Chipotle closed Monday after several people reported on the website iwaspoisoned.com having diarrhea, fever, nausea, vomiting and food poisoning after eating at the restaurant near Columbus.
“The local health department has informed us of two customer complaints of illness at one restaurant in Powell,” said Chipotle’s chief communications officer Lauri Schalow. “We acted quickly and closed this single restaurant out of an abundance of caution yesterday. We are working with the local health department and we plan to reopen this restaurant today.”
But the number potentially affected has reached 170 people who ate at the restaurant between Thursday and Monday, according to Patrick Quade, the founder of iwaspoisoned.com, who was attributed in the Columbus Dispatch.
“My family and I ate at the Powell Chipotle this past weekend. All 3 of us had diarrhea as well as nausea. We had a steak bowl, chicken bowl and my 3 year old had chicken tacos,” said one of the reports.
The restaurant at 9733 Sawmill Parkway is expected to reopen today, pending approval from the health department, according to the Columbus Dispatch. The store was last inspected by the Delaware General Health District on Thursday, where two critical violations were found.
The pinto and black beans were not held at a high enough temperature and the cut lettuce that was not properly cooled after preparation. Both violations were corrected that day, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
The company’s stock price fell more than 5 percent today from its close Monday following the news of the illnesses that night.
Chipotle has had issues with illness in recent years. In February 2016, the chain closed all of its restaurants for a four-hour food safety meeting after reported outbreaks of E. coli, salmonella and norovirus at several locations across the country.
FIVE FAST READS