OSU president speaks about today's events.

OSU officials speak about attack

Ohio State University’s public safety director says police believe there was only one attacker in Monday’s incident, and he was shot and killed by an Ohio State police officer.

Monica Moll, OSU director of public safety, said the man ran his vehicle into a crowd of people outside Watts Hall on the Ohio State campus, striking pedestrians. The man then got out of the vehicle and cut multiple people with a butcher knife.

Ohio State medical center officials said multiple people suffered lacerations from being cut by a butcher knife or injuries from being hit by the car, but none had life-threatening injuries.

Ohio State President Michael Drake said the university does what it can to make students and staff as safe as they possibly can, adding that we live in an open society where these kinds of tragedies happen too often. He called on everyone to be diligent and focus on safety, and said he was thankful that through the response of safety personnel, it wasn’t more serious than it was.

Drake said the OSU campus is closed for the day, but will reopen Tuesday.

Monday afternoon, OSU officials held a news conference and reported the officer who shot the suspect was doing well.

The chief medical examiner, Andrew Thomas, said six victims were taken to OSU hospital. Two had been stabbed, two had been hit by a vehicle and one had lacerations.

University officials also reported the suspect’s vehicle was seen on camera before the attacks and it is believed he was alone.

X