For Wright State University President David Hopkins, the price just got too high.
Earlier this week, Hopkins announced that WSU will not be hosting the Sept. 26 presidential debate at the Nutter Center. On Wednesday, he said projected costs had risen to $11 million as concerns over terrorist attacks grew in recent weeks.
“These were the estimates to almost build a fortress,” said Hopkins. “We are a public university; we can’t do that. I am not going to build a fortress around the campus for this educational experience. It just didn’t make sense.”
He said he was sad, but not embarrassed, by the decision to withdraw 10 weeks before the debate, which was to be held at the Nutter Center.
“I think we’ve done the right thing,” Hopkins said.
The September debate is the first of four General Election debates that will be produced by the Commission on Presidential Debates. With Wright State out, the commission shifted the first presidential matchup to Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. The private university hosted 2008 and 2012 debates and was designated as the alternate.
>> THE FULL STORY: Costs, security concerns play into WSU’s decision
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.