Clayton Murphy used a strong kick Monday night to claim the bronze medal in the 800-meter run at the Olympics in Rio.
The Tri-Village graduate became the eighth area athlete to win a medal in a running event at the Olympics and the first since 2000.
RELATED: The Dayton area’s 56 Olympians
The illustrious group includes one of the first medal winners in the sport’s premier event and the best hurdler of all time.
Dayton-area Olympic medal winners in running events
- Francis A. Lane, Franklin High School, bronze medal, 100 meters, 1896.
- Josh Culbreath, Central State, bronze, 400 hurdlers, 1956.
- Bob Schul, Milton-Union High School and Miami University, gold, 500 meters, 1964.
- Edwin C. Moses, Fairview High School, gold, 400 hurdles in 1976 and ’84. Bronze in ’88.
- LaVonna Martin Floreal, Trotwood-Madison, silver, 100 hurdles, 1992.
- Tonja Buford Bailey, Meadowdale High School, bronze, 400 hurdles, 1996.
- Deon Hemmings*, Central State, gold 400 hurdles in 1996, silver in 400 hurdles and 1,600 relay in 2000.
- Clayton Murphy, Tri-Village High School, bronze, 800, 2016.
*Competed for Jamaica