The numbers are on the Big Ten’s side in the Sweet 16 of the 2018 NCAA Tournament. Both Michigan (vs. Texas A&M) and Purdue (vs. Texas Tech) are favored in their upcoming NCAA Tournament matchups, according to projections from analytic website FiveThirtyEight.
Michigan, a No. 3 seed, is listed with a 52 percent chance of beating the seventh-seeded Aggies in Los Angeles on Thursday night. John Beilein’s team is the highest-seeded team remaining on the left side of the bracket, and is also listed as a 3-point favorite over Texas A&M by MyBookie.
Purdue, meanwhile, is facing third-seeded Texas Tech after getting by Butler in the second round without Isaac Haas. The Boilermakers are given a 62 percent chance by FiveThirtyEight to beat the Red Raiders on Friday. However, they are just a 1.5-point favorite according to MyBookie.
Below are FiveThirtyEight’s favorites to win each of the eight matchups in the Sweet 16:
- No. 7 Nevada (51 percent chance to win) vs. No. 11 Loyola-Chicago
- No. 3 Michigan (52 percent) vs. No. 7 Texas A&M
- No. 2 Purdue (62 percent) vs. No. 3 Texas Tech
- No. 1 Villanova (70 percent) vs. No. 5 West Virginia
- No. 5 Kentucky (71 percent) vs. No. 9 Kansas State
- No. 4 Gonzaga (72 percent) vs. No. 9 Florida State
- No. 1 Kansas (73 percent) vs. No. 5 Clemson
- No. 2 Duke (85 percent) vs. No. 11 Syracuse
The post 2018 NCAA Tournament: Purdue, Michigan favored in Sweet 16 matchups, per FiveThirtyEight appeared first on Land of 10.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.