Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 5 Special Teams Player of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from special teams players, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Mason Rudolph
- Defensive player of the week Deshon Elliott
- Special teams player of the week Matthew McCrane
- Newcomer of the week Damarcus Fields
Kansas State kicker Matthew McCrane
Result: 33-20 win over Baylor
Kansas State’s offense was relatively inconsistent against Baylor, but special teams ensured this game never got out of hand. Specifically, kicker Matt McCrane had an outstanding day and did his job perfectly.
The first field goal came early in the second quarter with the game within 7-3. McCrane pushed in a 37-yard field goal to make it a touchdown lead. Later in the second quarter, Kansas State’s 14-play drive stalled at the 4-yard line. McCrane kicked another 21-yard field goal to make it 20-3 at the half.
Later in the fourth quarter, Baylor once again cut the lead to one touchdown. Kansas State started within its own 30-yard line, and couldn’t get past the Baylor 30. Bill Snyder sent McCrane out for a 49-yard field goal. Had he missed, Baylor would have had the ball with momentum only 68 yards from tying the game. Instead, McCrane calmly booted a 49-yarder to make it a two-possession game once again.
McCrane has made 8 of his 10 field goals this season, including ones from 49 and 53 yards out. He is also a perfect 17-for-17 on extra point.
- Baylor kicker Connor Martin did an admirable job after punter Drew Galitz went out. He nailed two field goals and also kicked three punts for 126 yards. Martin added a critical fourth-down conversion on a fake punt. Unfortunately, he also had a kick blocked and fumbled a punt snap.
- Texas Tech kicker Michael Barden knocked in both of his field goals and all four of his extra point attempts in a 41-34 loss to Texas Tech.
- Kansas State wide receiver Byron Pringle was credited with a 34-yard punt return against the Bears.
The post Big 12 Special Teams Player of Week 5: Matthew McCrane sinks Baylor appeared first on Diehards.