The 2018 Big Ten Tournament is almost here. Purdue basketball will be one of the favorites going into the tournament.
If Purdue makes a run, the Boilermakers have a chance to secure a No. 2 seed for the NCAA Tournament. Last season, Purdue was a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament and reached the Sweet 16 before losing to Kansas.
Big Ten Tournament preview: Purdue basketball
Purdue is 26-5 overall going into the Big Ten Tournament. In conference play, the Boilermakers finished 15-3 to get the No. 3 seed. Purdue’s conference record matched that of Ohio State, but the Buckeyes beat the Boilermakers in the teams’ only meeting.
As the No. 3 seed, Purdue has a bye until the Big Ten quarterfinals. The Boilermakers would play either the No. 6, No. 11 or No. 14 seed.
Big Ten Tournament: What’s at stake for Purdue
Purdue is obviously safely into the NCAA Tournament. Purdue will be one of the higher seeds this year, no matter what happens in the conference tournament.
The Boilermakers won the Big Ten Tournament in 2009; Purdue eventually reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.
Big Ten Tournament: NCAA Tournament outlook for Purdue
Right now, Purdue is in position to get a No. 2 seed. Of course, that could change depending on what happens in the Big Ten Tournament and in other tournaments. If the Boilermakers win the league tournament, they would be 29-5.
If that does happen, could Purdue get a No. 1 seed? Possibly. Virginia and Villanova are the best bets to get top seeds, no matter what happens in the conference tournaments. Kansas is also the Big 12 champion — a Jayhawks tournament title would clinch a No. 1 seed.
In the end, the battle for the final No. 1 spots will also include Xavier, Auburn, Duke and Michigan State. A Michigan State-Purdue showdown in the Big Ten Tournament Championship Game could be high stakes.
Purdue basketball: Matt Painter era
- 2005-06: 9-19 (3-13): No. 11 seed, Big Ten opening round
- 2006-07: 22-12 (9-7): No. 5 seed, Big Ten semifinals; NCAA Round of 32
- 2007-08: 25-9 (15-3): No. 2 seed, Big Ten quarterfinals; NCAA Round of 32
- 2008-09: 27-10 (11-7): No. 3 seed, Big Ten champions; NCAA Sweet 16
- 2009-10: 29-6 (14-4): No. 2 seed, Big Ten semifinals; NCAA Sweet 16
- 2010-11: 26-8 (14-4): No. 2 seed, Big Ten quarterfinals; NCAA Second Round
- 2011-12: 22-13 (10-8): No. 6 seed, Big Ten quarterfinals; NCAA Second Round
- 2012-13: 16-18 (8-10): No. 7 seed, Big Ten first round; CBI quarterfinals
- 2013-14: 15-17 (5-13): No. 12 seed, Big Ten first round
- 2014-15: 21-13 (12-6): No. 4 seed, Big Ten semifinals; NCAA Round of 64
- 2015-16: 26-9 (12-6): No. 4 seed, Big Ten runners-up; NCAA Round of 64
- 2016-17: 27-8 (14-4): No. 1 seed, Big Ten quarterfinals; NCAA Sweet 16
The post Big Ten Tournament 2018: Purdue preview, what’s at stake appeared first on Land of 10.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.