Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
With Feleipe Franks back as the starting quarterback, both coach Jim McElwain and Franks’ fellow teammates are anticipating that Franks can take the next step this weekend when the Gators host LSU. Graduate transfer Malik Zaire will once again serve as Franks’ backup, waiting for his opportunity to make an impact. Regardless of how it all shakes out, this is the fifth straight season in which Florida’s quarterback situation has been shaken up right before its annual matchup with LSU.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
Where does Florida go without Tyrie Cleveland?
McElwain announced Monday that sophomore wide receiver and top offensive playmaker Tyrie Cleveland is expected to be out against LSU with a high-ankle sprain. This once again hampers a Gators offense that was starting to find its groove and will force others to step up like Cleveland has done so far this season.
In other Florida football news
- The emotions are there, but Florida is downplaying its rivalry against LSU.
- The Gators are feeling the loss of safety Marcell Harris.
- McElwain became a grandfather last week.
- A closer look at Florida’s expected recruiting visitors for the LSU game on Saturday.
- Florida’s game against Texas A&M on Oct. 14 will be at one of three times.
- Men’s basketball: The Gators landed a commitment from a 4-star point guard.
- Volleyball: The top-ranked and undefeated Gators are not afraid of a challenge.
- Baseball: A look at how former Florida players fared in professional ball as the regular season comes to an end.
- Men’s tennis: Three Gators have advanced in the qualifying rounds of the ITA All-American Championship in Tulsa, Okla.
- Men’s golf: The fifth-ranked Gators are in third place after two rounds of the Nike Golf Collegiate in Oregon.
Awards and honors
- Football: Running back Malik Davis and offensive lineman Brett Heggie both earned weekly SEC honors.
- Volleyball: Outside hitter Paige Hammons was named the SEC Freshman of the Week.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up right now and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Wide receiver Freddie Swain
Fake love so real
— Juice Em' (@Freddie_iball2) October 3, 2017
Wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland
Father God heal those who has been injured and strengthen the families who lost love ones #PrayingforVegas
— Cleve (@Tyrie_1) October 3, 2017
Running back Lamical Perine
I'm coming for everything they say I couldn't have …
— LP (@LP_deucedeuce) October 3, 2017
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.
The post Gators looking for stability at quarterback from Feleipe Franks appeared first on SEC Country.