TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Drills looked a little discombobulated as Alabama football opened spring practice on Tuesday afternoon, but that’s to be expected as the team breaks in multiple new coaches.
It was weird not seeing Burton Burns coach the running backs, but he was at practice watching the team.
Alabama worked inside for its first of 15 practices of spring, which will conclude with its A-Day spring game on April 21.
Here’s everything you need to know.
- Right tackle Matt Womack was spotted in a black, non-contact jersey prior to practice.
- Outside linebacker Anfernee Jennings was spotted in a black, non-contact jersey.
- There was no sign of running back Josh Jacobs. He had surgery this offseason to clean up an ankle injury.
- Offensive line Kendall Randolph (foot) was spotted in a black, non-contact jersey.
- Tight end Miller Forristall (knee) is still working in a black jersey.
What we saw
- In a strange plot twist, national championship hero DeVonta Smith was working with the cornerbacks. Hat tip to our pal Charlie Potter of BamaOnline, who brought it to my attention. Smith wore a white jersey. We’ll monitor this one to see where it goes.
- With Smith on defense, Terrell Shavers, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III were the top three receivers.
- As expected, there was no sign of right tackle Matt Womack (foot). Womack suffered a foot injury, and is expected to miss all of spring practice.
- With Womack out, rising sophomore Jedrick Wills worked at right tackle. The rest of the first offensive line group had Lester Cotton at right guard, Ross Pierschbacher at center, Josh Casher at left guard and Jonah Williams at left tackle.
- The big takeaways from the offensive line are Pierschbacher at center and Casher at left guard. Pierschbacher spent all of last spring at center, but was switched for Bradley Bozeman. A lot can change between now and A-Day, but Casher being at the front of the line shows how much he’s developed as a player. Casher has dealt with injuries that have halted his chances of getting on the field.
- The running back line saw Damien Harris up front followed by Najee Harris, Brian Robinson and Ronnie Clark.
- Mack Wilson and Dylan Moses were the first two inside linebackers up.
- Ben Davis worked with the inside linebackers.
- We didn’t get to see the outside linebackers or the defensive linemen as they worked outside with the sleds.
What’s next for Alabama football?
- Alabama coach Nick Saban is scheduled to speak with reporters following practice on Tuesday.
- The team will return to the practice field on Thursday afternoon. Select players will speak to reporters before practice on Thursday.
The post National championship star works at different position, injury updates as Alabama opens spring practice appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.