Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Ohio State rises in AP Top 25
After a clinical 56-0 win against Rutgers, Ohio State returned to the top 10 of the AP Top 25 released Sunday. The Buckeyes remained No. 9 in the Amway Coaches Poll.
The Buckeyes stayed put in Land of 10’s Big Ten Power Poll released Sunday night, remaining ahead of Michigan.
Deep ball improving
J.T. Barrett passed for 275 yards and 3 touchdowns in the win over the Scarlet Knights and looked more accurate than ever. And although it didn’t count because of a penalty, a would-be 67-yard touchdown to Johnnie Dixon showed how good the Buckeyes can be with the deep ball this season.
“It was a perfect ball,” Dixon said. “It feels amazing. You just know you have to make a play. You work so hard on something and you have to make it count.”
Mike Weber’s return makes offense better
Freshman J.K. Dobbins has been really impressive, but the Buckeyes stand to be even better with a healthy Mike Weber in the mix at running back. Weber scored 3 touchdowns against Rutgers and showed he has plenty to offer.
“It’s going to be really scary if we get things going the way we want it to,” Weber said. “The one-two punch is what we see in the future. I think if we get everything together, it can be really scary.”
Here’s how Ohio State teams fared last weekend:
- Men’s soccer lost 5-1 to Michigan State on Sunday
- Field hockey won 1-0 at UC Davis on Sunday; won 3-2 in overtime at Stanford on Saturday
- Women’s volleyball lost 3-0 at Michigan State on Saturday; lost 3-1 at Michigan on Friday
- Football won 56-0 at Rutgers on Saturday
- Women’s soccer beat Penn State 1-0 on Saturday
- Women’s hockey beat Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 4-0 on Saturday and 4-1 on Friday
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published:
- The Buckeyes used a game against Rutgers to get refreshed
- Malik Hooker leads the NFL in interceptions after another one on Sunday
- Ohio State has destroyed Rutgers over the last four years
- The 5 things we learned from the Buckeyes 56-0 win
- Watch postgame interviews following the victory over Rutgers
- Buckeye Leaves: Which players stood out against Rutgers?
- How Ohio State commitments fared last weekend in high school games
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers the Buckeyes. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- Doug Lesmerises of Cleveland.com argues Ohio State is a legitimate playoff contender
- From Ari Wasserman of The Athletic: 5 thoughts on the Rutgers win
- Barrett starred against Rutgers, wrote Tim May of the Columbus Dispatch
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) October 2, 2017
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) October 1, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here .
The post Ohio State football: AP Top 25 bump, Buckeyes’ improved deep ball, Mike Weber’s role appeared first on Land of 10.